Can we get married in your church?

To be married at either St Matthias’ Church, The Church of the Ascension or St Peter’s Cowleigh, at least one of you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Live within the Malvern Link with Cowleigh parish boundaries. You can use the Church of England website A Church Near You to check whether you live within the parish.
  • Are a regular worshipper with our congregation and on our electoral roll (church membership roll). ‘Regular’ is defined as attending services at least once a month for the past 6 months.
  • Have a qualifying connection with the parish.

Valid qualifying connections are:

  • You lived in the parish for at least 6 months
  • Your parents or grandparents were married in the parish
  • Your parents live/lived in the parish for at least 6 months during your lifetime
  • Your parents habitually attend services in the parish
  • You were christened and/or confirmed in the parish

If either of you has been married previously and your former spouse is still alive, or if either of you is not a UK national, please contact us before proceeding further, so we can arrange for the Vicar to chat with you about the special circumstances and how best to proceed.

St Matthias' Church
St Matthias’ Church
St Peter's Church, Cowleigh
St Peter’s Church
The Church of the Ascension
Church of the Ascension

Once you’ve determined your qualifying connection, the next step is to make an appointment to meet with the Vicar, so that he can fulfill the legal requirements of verifying your identities and your eligibility to marry in the parish.  Please use the contact us form to request a meeting date. You will need to bring with you:

  • The completed Marriage Details form
  • Your original identity documents (passport or photo driving licence)
  • Evidence of the qualifying connection (examples of acceptable documentation for each type of qualification are given on the Marriage Details form)

Once the Vicar has given approval for you to marry in the parish, you will need to pay a non-refundable deposit of £140.00 to secure your booking. Your date is not secured until the Vicar has approved your request and you have paid your deposit.  At the meeting, the Vicar will advise you as to your wedding options and next steps.

For resources to help you choose your hymns and readings, have a look at the Church of England wedding planner.   There’s also a useful section that walks you through the wedding service (in case it’s been a while since you last attended a wedding and you’re a bit fuzzy on the details!)

I’m marrying elsewhere and need my banns read here

The reading of banns in the parish where you live and the parish where you intend to wed is a legal requirement for marriage in the UK, whether you’re marrying in church or a civil ceremony.

If you live in our parish and intend to get married in a church elsewhere, you’ll need to fill out our online banns form and pay £45.00 which we are legally required to collect.  (These fees are set nationally by Parliament and the Church of England on an annual basis. For 2020, the fees are comprised of £31 for publishing the banns and £14 for the certificate which your officiant will need in order to perform your wedding service.)

Once you’ve submitted the banns form, we will contact you to advise the dates and church(es) where your banns will be read and our details for paying the £45.00 fee.  We generally aim to have your banns completed and your certificate emailed to you a month in advance of your wedding.