St Peter's Church
St Peter’s Church
St Peter’s joined the parish of Malvern Link with Cowleigh in 1975, having been built in 1866 and linked at that time with the parish of St James, West Malvern. As the brickworks and quarries in North Malvern and Cowleigh expanded in the 1850s, so did the population and the need for a local place of worship.
Services were first held in an old blacksmith’s shop in Belmont Road, but fundraising totalling £2,300 enabled construction of a purpose-built church building. A sloping green meadow with an open view across the Severn Valley was donated by Lord Beauchamp and renowned architect, George Street, selected Street cleverly designed the building to be relatively wide and squat to embrace the sloping site. The church was furnished in typical Oxford Movement style, with stained glass windows and pews.
Services at St Peter’s Church
St Peter’s Church – lychgate
St Peter’s has the only outdoor War Memorial in the parish. An Act of Remembrance is held at the War Memorial every Remembrance Sunday, attended by the local scouts.
St Peter’s is the home of the lively, informal, ‘11.15’ service of Contemporary Worship and is equipped with a small stage, lighting and amplification.
In recent years St Peter’s has also become ‘SPARC’ – St Peter’s Arts Church, a venue for music, films and arts and crafts. The church is surrounded by a beautiful graveyard that is filled with primroses and wild daffodils in spring.
Malvern Link with Cowleigh Church Guidebook
The heritage guidebook to the churches of Malvern Link with Cowleigh is available via the parish office at a price of £2 plus p+p.